I can’t believe I won this competition on my first try – it hasn’t sunk in yet! When I entered, I didn’t think I’d win, but as the competition progressed and I was named a Top 10 finalist, I started to believe that I could make it,” he said.Welcome Magoso, 2022 Championship Boerewors competition winner
Magoso is employed as a Senior Meat Technician at Checkers Galleria after joining the retailer on a learnership in December 2019.
His winning recipe will be for sale in Shoprite and Checkers supermarkets nationwide from 9 September 2022, just in time for Heritage Day.
Apart from the coveted title of 2022 Championship Boerewors winner, Magoso also drives away with the grand prize, a brand-new Toyota Fortuner 2.4 GD-6 4X2 6AT.
Second and third place went to Christiaan Roodt (from Cradock, Eastern Cape) and Delano Jasper (from Wellington, Western Cape) respectively.
Thousands of entrants once again submitted their traditional boerewors recipes for the popular Championship Boerewors competition, presented annually by Shoprite and Checkers, and judged by an independent panel from the South African Chefs Association (SACA).
The top 10 finalists were:
- Nikita de Lange from Alberton, Gauteng
- Johan Grundling from Doornkloof East, Gauteng
- Delano Jasper from Wellington, Western Cape
- Robert Mongwe from Tzaneen, Limpopo
- Phozisa Magoda from Finsantelkraal, Western Cape
- Welcome Magoso from Umlazi, KwaZulu-Natal
- Steven O’Connor from Melkbosstrand, Western Cape
- Siyabonga Radebe from Brooklyn, Gauteng
- Christiaan Roodt from Cradock, Eastern Cape
- Abram Sepotokele from Randfontein, Gauteng