10 SA restaurants announced as winners in McCain Foodservice Solutions competition
McCain Foodservice Solutions is delighted to announce the 10 winners of the “Dishruption Challenge”, an initiative which gave restaurant operators the opportunity to win support packages worth R50 000 each. The purpose of this initiative was to give independent restaurateurs some much-needed relief from the COVID-induced chaos that they had suffered over the previous year and a half.
The McCain Foodservice team travelled across the country for two weeks to put the contender’s dishes to the test. At the end of September they finally narrowed it down to 10 of the best, with the majority of winners hailing from the Western Cape. “During our time of judging, we saw incredible dishes created, but more so than that, we witnessed amazing resilience and perseverance from those in the foodservice industry. It really was uplifting and inspiring,” says Lukas Nangolo, Brand Manager: Foodservice & Retail.
The winning restaurants and dishes created include:
- A Spinach & Mushroom Rotolo created by Fossil Park Restaurant in Langebaan, Cape Town.
- The Cracked Chicken Burger & Fries served up by La Cuccina Josephine’s Mill in Newlands.
- A Southern Fried Chicken Burger & Rustic Fries by La Matta Cafe in Cape Town.
- Cafe Extrablatt’s Salmon McRoesti made with McCain Rosti.
- The Pulled Pork & Stir Fry made by Kumin & Khords in Wellington, Western Cape.
- The Belly Deli in Cape Town’s Hashwood Brunch which includes McCain’s Rustic Cut Fries and Hashbrowns.
- The Pizza Wedges, made using McCain Wedges, which was created by Eat Out The Box in Cape Town.
- A dish called ‘Not Sushi’ which was created by De Kloof restaurant in Pretoria, using McCain Peas.
- A Broccoli Salmon Pie by Eighty8’s Food Co in Parktown, Johannesburg.
- The Roasted Gem Squash made using McCain Sweet Corn, by Charlene’s Diner in Kwazulu-Natal.
According to Nangolo, “We at McCain feel so privileged to be able to do our part to help those in the industry who have suffered as a result of COVID. Through our ‘Insider’s Club’ programme, we really aim to be of assistance in as many ways as possible, whether that’s through free access to latest industry trends, business tips & resources, or through initiatives like this”.
Sign up to McCain’s Insiders Club to get the inside track on new products, menu inspirations & operator toolkits for your business.
About McCain Foods
McCain Foods has been at the centre of South African mealtimes for over 20 years. As the world’s largest manufacturer of frozen potato and appetiser products, we supply a significant portion of the world’s restaurants and other hospitality outlets. In South Africa, we are also the market leader in Frozen Vegetables, which we supply to both Food Service and Retail customers. We manufacture fresh produce from local farmers at our production plants in Delmas, Springs as well as our processing facility in Marblehall. We are constantly developing innovative new food offerings tailor-made to the requirements of our consumers and customers.
For more information visit www.mccain.co.za
For more information, please contact:
Kelly Davis, Eclipse Communications. email@example.com
Natasha Kleyn, Eclipse Communications firstname.lastname@example.org